Black History and Diversity Week
During the week beginning 11th October, children across school learnt about a significant figure in Black History. They explored their lives the impact they had on the world today and significant events from their history.
- EYFS explored what it means to be diverse and how we should respect and love everyone.
- Year 1 explored the life of Mahatma Ghandi and Wilma Rudolph.
- Year 2 explored the life events of Harriet Tubman, and her importance in supporting and freeing enslaved people.
- Year 3 learnt about Rosa Parks and her impact. Children began with a virtual bus ride and learned more about how segregation affected Rosa, as well as creating a timeline of her life comparing the 1950's to modern day.
- Year 4 learnt about the life of Martin Luther King Jr, and how his leadership contributed to the overall success of the civil rights movement in the mid 1900's.
- Year 5 learnt about the life and influence of the first African-American First Lady of the United States, Michelle Obama.
- Year 6 explored the life of Kamala Harris and her influence on the world today.